How to Prepare
Donating blood is easy! There are 4 steps to donate:
1. Tell us your medical history - The Food and Drug Administration sets the questions and the rules for safe donation.
2. Receive a free mini-physical to ensure you are healthy enough to donate.
3. Donate Blood! ( This step takes less than 15 minutes. )
4. Refresh - Eat a snack and drink a beverage to replenish before you leave.
Additional Details About Donation:
- A picture I.D. or your Shepeard Donor Card is required upon registration.
- A drop of blood is taken from your fingertip to determine your hematocrit (iron) level.
During your donation . . .
- Your screening process is now complete and the staff member will ask you which arm you prefer to use for the donation process
- A staff member will clean a spot on the arm and insert a sterile, non-reusable needle
- Important note: All equipment is pre-packaged, sterile, and used only once, it is impossible to get AIDS from donating blood
- It takes about 10 minutes to complete your donation
- Slightly less than a pint of blood is taken (Most adults have between 10 and 12 pints or units in their bodies)
- Small test tubes of blood are filled and used for typing and testing purposes
After your donation . . .
- You may rest and enjoy refreshments (and drinks) in the canteen area
- Your body replaces fluid lost during the donation within 24-48 hours
- You are encouraged to make an appointment for your next volunteer donation.